Sunday, March 6, 2022

Second Chance At Love

 


I met my second boyfriend a bit later on during high school through a mutual friend.  It really felt like love at first sight - suddenly the heartache of my first love no longer felt so raw.

He was good looking, but most of all, he had a good heart and was gentle and loving, BUT according to my mom, he was from the wrong side of the tracks.  According to her, he didn't live in a decent neighborhood, forgetting that she herself, grew up in a poor neighborhood.

Things went really well in the beginning.  My mother even went so far as to invite him to stay over for weekends (in separate rooms of course) but thinking back, this was all about control!


She would make him do chores around the house and he would naturally oblige.

I never spent much time at his home with his parents, as my mother would always be pulling the strings.

He even joined the family on camping trips.

One evening we were sitting chatting in his room (at my house) until about 2:00 AM.  My mom must have heard us and upon entering the room, she hit me all the way into my bedroom and screamed at him that she will deal with him in the morning.  She obviously thought there was more going on than just talking.

I felt such hatred towards her.





Things pretty much went backwards from there and she finally managed to break up the relationship.

She even locked the landline so I couldn't call him.

After school, he joined the Navy.

I wasn't the brightest of students and just managed to scrape through Matric (without a university pass).  I did a 1 year secretarial course at college after school.

My very first job was at a biscuit manufacturing company working in the typing pool.

During this time, my ex managed to get in touch with me and I used to receive daily letters from him addressed to my workplace.  I was so excited to receive his letters, I felt like a teenager again.  He even made me an audio tape telling me that he had never stopped loving me.   On the tape, was also the Stevie Wonder song I Just Called To Say I Love You 😭

I remember going to my car during lunchtime to listen to the tape and just crying my eyes out.




After a while, the letters became fewer and fewer until they stopped altogether.  I know deep in my heart that if my mother had not interfered, we would have been married today!




No comments:

Post a Comment

THINGS MY MOTHER COMPLAINED ABOUT

  *     I can hear you breathing - why do you breathe so loud? *     Why must you file your nails so hard and make such a noise? *     Don&#...